Click here to view the Question and Answer Pamphlet on RICE ISSUES. Posted on June 5, 2017.

Q:   Who are required to secure license from NFA?

A:  All persons, natural or juridical, that are engaging or intending to engage in the rice and/or corn business whether commercial or NFA rice/corn.

Q:   When do we Secure a License?

A:  Before the start in any of the business activity enumerated above, the proprietor or operator should first secure a license from NFA. For those already license, businessmen should renew their annual license on any day within their scheduled month allotted by the NFA.

Q:  Where do we Apply for a License?

A:  Application may be filed at the NFA office that has jurisdiction over the location of the principal business of the applicant.

Q:  In case we have more than one (1) store/establishment for Rice/Corn business, should all be licensed?

A: Yes, owner/operator should file a license for all outlets at the NFA office where his principal place of business is located. Additional outlets are treated as branches.

Q:  How do we apply for a license?

A:  For New Applicants, follow these procedures:

  • secure application form from the licensing officer upon payment of application fee;
  • accomplish and file application with complete requirements to the licensing officer who in turn checks the documents and determines corresponding license fee;
  • pay license fee to the cashier and get copy of official receipt;
  • prepare the facilities/equipment requirements for inspection by NFA Investigators;
  • after inspection of establishments, present notice of inspection to the licensing officer, official receipt and proof of compliance with deficiencies, if any;
  • licensing officer issues license if application is found to be in order;
  • applicants should display the  license in their establishments.

      Procedures for renewal applicants:

  • secure application form from licensing officer upon payment of application fee;
  • accomplish and file application with complete requirements together with previous year's license to the licensing officer;
  • licensing officer checks completeness of requirements and determines license fee to be paid;
  • pay license fee to the cashier and present the official receipt to licensing officer;
  • licensing officer issues renewal sticker and stick it to appropriate portion of the license if application is found to be in order;
  • applicants display licensing conspicuous place in their establishments.

Q:  For New Applicants, how long do we have to wait for the Approval of our License Application?

A: The establishments and facility requirements of new applicants are inspected by the NFA Investigators within twenty (20) working days after filling of their applications. Those inspected are given inspection notices stating the date when they can return to the NFA to show compliance with any deficiency, if any. Otherwise, their notices state the date when they can get their license. In all these cases, it should not exceed twenty (20) working days after inspection.

Q: How much do we have to pay?

A: Application fee is P50.00 for a single line of activity and P100.00 for two or more activities. License fees depend upon the capacity of the post harvest equipment used.

Q: What are the requirements?

A: Documentary and faciltity requirements depend upon the business activity. (Please click to see lists).

Q:  Does the NFA requires only Licensing on Rice/Corn Business Activities?

A:  The NFA also require the registration of the following facilities aside from the license on the activities mentioned in the list.

  • motor vehicles used or intended to be used in transport/hauling of palay/ rice/corn whether for exclusive use or for hire except public utility vehicles franchised by proper government agencies not principally used for transporting rice/palay/corn;
  • warehouses, threshers and sellers for own produce;
  • mechanical dryers for owner's/operators' exclusive use;
  • packaging machines for owner's/operators' exclusive use;
  • institutions/establishments securing their rice/corn requirements from the NFA;
  • poultry and hog raisers securing by-products from the NFA;
  • manufacturers/importers/dealers and distributors of rice/corn post-harvest facilities;
  • non-operating mills and other post-harvest facilities.  In this case, registration is done only once.

     Registration is done at the office of the NFA that has jurisdiction over the location of the principal business of the applicant.

     Registration fees see separate from that of the license fees.

Q:  In the event that I discontinue my business, what should I do with my License/Registration Certificate?

A: Surrender your license/registration certificate to the NFA office that issued it together with a written notice of discontinuance. Otherwise, In case you reapply, you would be charged with the fees for the entire period that you have not applied for renewal.

Q: What do you mean by Bonded Activities?

A: Bonded activities mean third party stocks are deposited in your facilities, for storage, milling, threshing, corn shelling or mechanical drying. Operators/owners of facilities accepting third party stocks are required to post a bond as well as fire insurance to safeguard the stocks of the third party.

Q:  What activities in the Rice/Corn Industry are required to have a License from NFA?

A:  All businessmen engaged in the following activities are required to have a license, to wit:

  • retailing
  • wholesaling
  • milling
  • warehousing
  • corn shelling
  • processing/manufacturing
  • threshing
  • exporting
  • importing
  • indenting
  • packaging
  • mechanical drying


Related Links

Back to Top